Friday, May 15, 2009

Emery Christine is here!!

Well, I went into labor Wednesday evening after a very exciting neighborhood event involving the SWAT team (crazy, but another story for another time).

I started having contractions about 10:00, and went to take a shower thinking that it might be a couple of days before I got another one. By 11:30 they were 3 minutes apart and getting stronger. I wanted to labor at home as long as possible because I knew that since I was attempting a VBAC that as soon as we got to the hospital they were going to make me get in the bed and stay there. I felt so much better being able to move through the contractions, so we waited to leave until I felt like I had made some progress. We left for the hospital and got there at 12:55. At that point my contractions were 2 minutes apart and when the nurse checked me I was only 2 cm dilated. I was a little disappointed at that, but figured that I was just going to have a longer labor this time. Twenty minutes later I was 4 cm.

I was in tremendous pain with contractions on top of each other, and asked for an epidural. They called the guy, but he took a little while to get there. The nurse checked me again about 20 minutes later and I was at 8 cm. The anesthesiologist put in the epidural, and I layed back down. It didn't even take effect! The doctor broke my water and immediately Emery was crowning. They had sent my husband out of the room to do the epidural and the nurse had to call him on his cell phone to get back ASAP so he didn't miss her birth! It went so fast that they didn't let my mom and best friend into the room, which was annoying, but there were more than a dozen people in the room for her birth with all the doctors and nurses, so it probably would have been too crowded anyway.

Emery was out with 2 pushes. She was born at 1:58 am, just 1 hour and 3 minutes after arriving at the hospital. She was a little floppy and not breathing well at birth, so they didn't let me hold her before they took her away to help her. She was grunting and having nasal flares and chest retractions (all indicative of breathing problems) and she was pale and floppy. The weighed her (5 lbs, 11 oz) and measured her (18 1/2 inches) and then let me hold her briefly before taking her to the nursery.

A few grueling hours later I was able to go to the nursery to see her and then they brought her to my room. She's been fine since then, with only minor issues with holding her temperature. She's little and gets tired very easily so she's having a hard time with eating, but hopefully she'll get the hang of it once we go home.

I had some minor tearing from pushing before the last little bit of rim was gone, but I feel fine and am so much more comfortable than after my last one (c-section). The nurses have been laughing because every time they come in and ask how I'm doing I don't have any pain or complaints. The 1 hour labor was hard for that hour, but I'm really glad it was so quick and I didn't even have to think about another c-section!

Sorry this is so long, but thanks for reading!! Here are a few pictures of our new little blessing...

This one is just after birth. I'm amazed at how much she looked like Bekah right after birth!

Me and my angel.

Proud new daddy (for the 4th time!).

The proud new big sister!

Loving new big brother!

The older big brother, trying out the feeding thing.

Nana didn't get to see her born, but she was the first one to get to hold her when she got back from the nursery!

Pop with his new grandbaby.

Aunt Kristen getting her holding time in (it's payback from when Ryleigh was born and I wouldn't give her up!).

Grandma (Bryan's mom) holding her 9th grandchild!

Relaxing in our room (ignore the pacifier...sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do...)

6 comments:

Bonnie said...

Wow, what a great labor story, you're gonna make all the women want to jump out there and ahve babies:0) you are one tough cookie to tough it out at home while you could. I am so excited to hear that you had a VBAC, Jacob was an emergency c-section, Cora came eighteen months later so my Dr. thought it was too soon to risk a VBAC, but IF I have another child I'm thrilled to know that it can be done VBAC!!!!!! You're an inspiration, and your family is absolutely wonderful, I am so happy for all of you, AND, you kids have beautiful names, well done there as well...
Congrats again,
Bonnie

The Valdez Family said...

Congrats to you and your hubby!! She is beautiful!!!

Robin said...

Congratulations!

Rachael and Chris said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!! She is so perfect and beautiful. And thank you for sharing the birthing story...you are so tough and brave.
Glad you posted so many family photos...Emery is already loved by so many.

Lisa said...

Congrats! You are an inspiration to have my 4th. Beautiful pics!

Meredith Braaten, CD(DONA) said...

WOW!! Congrats on your beautiful VBAC. You did so so awesome. (I'm good friends with Emily R who shared your blog with me. I can never resist a birth story!!)